Causes, Patterns, and Solutions
Hair loss is a natural process that does not discriminate because of race, color or religion. It is common to lose between 80 to 100 hair strands daily depending on your hair care routine, your daily activities and climate, among others. A healthy hair contains three (3) to four (4) hairs strands per pore. When a pore is closed or has less than two hair strands, we notice a significant hair loss.
Two thirds of men will have significant hair loss by the age of 35, and 85% by the age of 50. And then the risk increases, as found by the American Hair Loss Association. More than 40% of women will suffer from hair loss by the age of 40, as shown in data offered by the American Academy of Dermatology.
When we notice less and thinner hair we must talk to our doctor to identify the possible cause or causes. The most common causes for hair loss include:
- Hereditary (genetic)
- Physical or emotional stress
- Health conditions
- Hormonal changes
- Medical treatments
- Side effects of some medications
- Traction excess (gradual hair loss caused by pulling force being applied to the hair)
Other factors can include hairstyling products which can damage, weaken or seal the pores. Some of this causes may be reversed.
Hair loss patterns
Norwood-Hamilton scale for men and Ludwig scale are popular in showing hair loss patterns.
Hair loss solutions
An aggressive hair loss may lead clogged pores and prevent hair to grow back. Some people opt for removable hair pieces (wigs), hair transplants or non-surgical solutions.
- Removable pieces (wigs): These not always show a natural appearance and may be expensive. Their styles cannot be changed and may easily can come off, causing insecurity while wearing them.
- Hair transplants: The procedure includes all the risks and hazards involved in any surgical procedure because it is invasive surgery and incisions are required.
- Hair replacements: The replacements have a natural appearance and provide long-term use within a variety of environments. It is non-surgical procedure, so there are no health risks.
- Natural products: The natural products for scalp treatment are available for specific cases and patients with certain health conditions.
The best hair loss solution depends on each person’s needs. We recommend for you to analyze all the alternatives available and choose the best according to your means and one that represents less risks for your health. At the end, hair loss has solutions but life is priceless.